Thursday, February 28, 2013

Saw It, Pinned It, Did It: St. Patty's Day coasters

Well I am linking up with Katie from http://www.mykeepcalmandcarryon.com and Stephanie from http://www.snhblog.com/p/beau.html! I am pretty excited about it because I LOVE pinterest and it's my first time linking up! So I made St. Patrick's Day coasters for our den. They are probably one of the easiest and cheapest (always a good thing in my book!) crafts to make. All you need is: - Bathroom tiles (Can be purchased from Lowes or Home Depot, for about $0.16) - Scrapbook paper - Sponge paint brush (Like the kind you used when you were four) - Mod Podge (I bought the gloss) - Lacquer (look for picture below) - Felt - Hot glue gun - Sissors Step 1: Cut your scrapbook paper to cover the tile perfectly Step 2: Using to sponge brush "paint" on the mod podge onto the tile Step 3: Carefully and quickly place the cut scrapbook paper on top of the modge podge, using your hands to smooth out any air bubbles. Step 4: Using the sponge brush again apply a coat of mod podge on top of the scrapbook paper (it will go on white but dry clear, no worries!) Step 5: Start on the next tile, repeat process and after you finish that tile go back and give the first tile another layer of mod podge (by now it should have dried at least enough to add another layer) Step 6: After you have finished all the tiles you want to make (I usually do 4) let them dry for about 15-20 mins and then take them outside and spray the Lacquer on them. I usually sparay them and let them dry a few minutes and then spray them a few more times. (Make sure you actually do step 6, the modge podge is not enough to protect it from you wet glasses and will become sticky, yuck!) Step 7: Cut the felt into small square pieces and hot glue to all four corners on the back (so it doesn't scratch you coffee table) And that is all, see so simple and you can make them for every holiday pretty much. This would make such a cute gift for someone! I got my scrapbook paper from Hobby Lobby in this book: I know it says $19.99 but they ALWAYS have sales going on and if you check online they usually have coupons. This book has every holiday in it so you just buy it one time and can make coasters for every holiday, love it!!

1 comment:

  1. These are adorable! I made some coasters a while back using cork but I want to try it with the tile! I found you through the SPD link-up, I looove your blog design! newest follower :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments always make my day!