Monday, August 12, 2013

Ladies, can you dress cute and still be modest?

The other day I was shopping with Matthew and a girl walked by and she was about to bust out of her shirt and her shorts were so short and tight I could see her bottom hanging out. 
I was immediately embarrassed/disgusted.

I have been debating on writing this post for the past two weeks but it has been on my heart lately. You don't have to agree with me but I pray that you do. 


Let me just first say, I used to think short shorts were cute and I would try to wear them but my parents never let me get away with it; I did however still wear some that I wouldn't wear now length wise. 
Temptations are so high these days to dress immodestly already, and it doesn't help that almost every new show targeted towards teens and young women are loaded with immodestly dressed actresses like Gossip Girl, The Vineyard, Revenge and there are plenty more.
We get the mindset that we have to dress like them to get noticed or we have to dress like them to attract the guy you are crushing on at the moment. But if you really think about it what is drawing him in? 
All the skin you are showing or your personality/heart?
Let's read over some verses that talk about this topic.


"In like manner also, that the women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with propriety and moderation not with braided hair or gold or pearls or costly clothing."
 - 1 Timothy 2:9

It pretty much says it right here in this verse. See where is say "women adorn themselves in modest apparel" 

Ladies, you should be dressing in decent and appropriate clothing, not just to church on Sundays, but every day. 
I heard something before and it has always stuck with me and I love it.
Would you want another woman wearing that in front of your husband?
Or
 If you are second guessing that dress at your local store ask any man if they would want their future wife to wear it in front of other men. 
No? Then don't buy it.


"And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God."
 -Romans 12:2
Remember talking about how most girls have a mindset that they HAVE to wear what is in style to keep up with everyone (including T.V. actresses) even if it's immodest? 
"Do not be conformed to this world"
I'm not saying don't wear what's new and in style but just because high waist shorts are in style doesn't mean you have to wear them.
Having your bottom hang out of your shorts is NOT cute nor is it appropriate. 


"But I say to you that whoever looks at a women to lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart."
-Matthew 5:28
Ladies, this is a big one, you can talk all day about how you "deserve" to be treated, or how you wish there were more chivalrous men in the world, but until you start dressing more modest you will not gain their respect.
I'm not saying all guys are bad because they are not, but when you dress immodestly you are more than likely going to attract the attention of a not so gentlemanly man who is only seeking you because of all the skin you are showing. Like I said earlier, wouldn't you want a guy that wants to be with you because of your heart and your personality? 
Most of us have such a deep desire to be seen as beautiful and cute that we are all too often willing to sacrifice the purity of the men around us on the account of our own beauty needs.
Over and over women say it's the guy’s problem and not theirs, while selfishly very much enjoying the attention their immodest clothing gains them. It's not just the guys fault here, if you are willing to flaunt what your momma gave you to every guy around then they are more than likely going to look, it's not them being dogs or nasty, it is common nature. 


If that isn't enough for you then think about your future husband.
The one you have been praying for every night since you were younger, don't you want to save your body for him and for him only? Not every guy you pass in the hallway at school and not every guy you pass out in town. Think about how he is going to feel knowing that you used to let it all hang out and that every guy he pretty much knows has seen all that only supposed to be seen between husband and wife?
So ladies please stop blaming guys because it is not all on them, it's on you too.
Take ownership of the situation and cover up.


I will leave you with one last verse to ponder on.


"Or do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and you are not your own? For you were bought at a price; therefore glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God's."
- 1 Corinthians 6:19-20


Please don't be frowned upon by people because of the way you dress, I promise that you can still stay up to date and dress cute all while dressing modestly. 
To be honest I still struggle when it comes to shopping sometimes when most of the stores and boutiques are selling clothing items that seem to be a little too low cut, a little too short or a little too tight but I know without a doubt that a cute outfit doesn't compare to the joy of dressing modestly and knowing that I am saving myself for my future husbands eyes only.

6 comments:

  1. I agree with you!! One of the main reasons that I do OOTD posts on my blog is to show my readers how I come up with outfits that are modest, classy and cute!! I hate the short-shorts thing too though. I had a cute pair of beach shorts that I realized got just a bit too short this summer. As bummed as I was, I've decided to wear them only to the beach now with a bathing suit, and I think that's a better decision!

    xoxo Miss ALK
    http://missalk1994.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love, love, love this post! The topic of modesty has been weighing heavily on my heart as well, especially regarding swimwear. When I was younger, I often would try and wear skimpy clothes...looking back, I totally regret it. I look at girls and women now who wear skimpy clothes simply to get attention from males and just wish they had my hindsight or their own insight in their hearts. I pray daily to dress and act in a modest, respectful way. Such a battle in this day and age!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Shelby! Just wanted to let you know that I really enjoyed this post just like the rest of your blog. I was recently nominated for a Liebster Award and I decided to nominate you as well! You can check out the details on my blog here: http://fivetwentyeightblog.blogspot.com/2013/08/how-to-make-someones-day.html.

    I hope you're having a great week so far and I have to agree, modesty is hottest! I love all the verses that you used as well. It's great to keep these things in mind when getting dressed each day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this post. I admit sometimes when I'm out I don't feel "sexy" because I am used to what people call "sexy" these days. I'd like to say I dress modest and my husband loves the way I dress. I made a post about this the other day. I went to Ikea and girl's butts were hanging out of their shorts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I completely agree! With every single word in this post. You can dress modest and still be up to date with the latest fashion.

    Stay classy, ladies. Stay classy. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, I just wanted to say I really appreciate this post. I found it on pinterest and I totally agree with being modest and keeping some mystery to your body. I don't know if you've ever seen this website, but I got my last swimsuit at limericki.com. They have cute and more modest swimsuits. Thanks for being encouraging to younger girls and me(24). :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments always make my day!